Monday 1 December 2008

Film Club Competition: The Long Goodbye

In preparation for Cultural Week, I set the members of the Film Club the task of creating a short film based on the same set of rules, which were:

1) The film is called 'The Long Goodbye'
2) It is filmed in the style of a known genre
3) The film contains a pineapple
4) The film contains the line: "I have never seen such discontent"

We had three entries overall and I was impressed by the quality of the work. All three had a good sense of pace and were presented as a trailer for a longer film. I was also impressed by how each had been set to well-chosen music, and that the films were edited in rhythm with the music.



Trying to pick a winner was hard. I liked the fantasy adventure (above) and it was put together by two younger students. Their work was encouraging and they should be proud of the results. However, they had a lot of help and I wanted to reward independent work.

For me, the noir film was the most aesthetically pleasing of the three. The choice of black and white footage, use of shadows and even the credits seemed to give off a sense of mystery and tension. The reason I didn't pick them was because their work was finished late and didn't include the pineapple in the final cut. Rules is rules.

So, the winner is: Carlos and Horacio's hostage drama. This fulfilled all of the criteria, although several genres were mentioned and the line was too small to read. It was on time, had a pineapple bomb and more importantly it entertained everyone who saw it. I have not posted it here because it is just too damn rude. However, we are not in the business of censorship so if you want to watch it, follow this link. Be warned.

No comments: